Monday 7 October 2013

Scene from a Coffee Shop

   “I like your dress. It looks really good on you.”   
   “Thank you. That’s very kind of you.”   
   “It really brings out your eyes. They’re a beautiful shade of ocean blue.”   
   “…Thanks.”   
   “I don’t believe I’ve introduced myself. My name is Terry. Terry Pratt. And you?”   
   “Madison.”   
   “Madison what? What’s your last name, please?”   
   “I’m sorry, I must have forgotten my manners. Madison Perry.”   
   “Ah! Perry. It rhymes with Terry. It’s a lovely name for a lovely woman. Madison is.”  
   “Oh. I thought you might have meant Perry.”   
   “No, no. Madison.”   
   “Okay, because it sounded a lot like you thought Perry was a nice name because it rhymes with Terry.”   
   “No, no. Madison is a nice name. Perry is a nice name. They’re both very nice names for a nice lady like you.”   
   “Thank you, Terry. I appreciate it. I would also appreciate it if I could drink my coffee and read my book.”   
   “Of course, of course. What did you order? What are you reading?”   
   “Um, I’m reading this book. It’s called Please Go Away and Leave Me Alone.”   
   “I’ve never heard of it before. Is it good?”  
   “Not right now, no. It’s not very good.”  
   “That’s too bad. Do you want to grab a drink with me, then? Not here in this danky coffee shop, but maybe at that bar down the street?”   
   “I’m meeting a friend.”   
   Madison closed her book and shoved it into her bag. Without a backwards look, she strolled out of the coffee house and began to trek toward the train station, shaking her head. She pulled out a phone and dialed her best friend’s number. “Oh my God, I just had the worst encounter at the coffee shop. Some creepy bastard wouldn’t stop talking to me! What an ass!”   
   “Yeah, girl. He must have been a real fucking douche.”   
   “Ugh, tell me about it!"
   Meanwhile, Terry, still in the coffee house, leaned back in his chair. He frowned. "Huh." He pulled out a Dating For Dummies from his bag and flipped through the brightly-highlighted pages. "I suppose common slang would have been much more advisable in a situation like the one I had just found myself in. A pity; Miss Perry seemed like she would have been a most delightful conversation partner. Ah, well. Better get going. It's poetry night at the bar."

--

Creative writing assignment from last semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment